Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sedona Plein Air Festival - Day 3

Another real work day, starting at 6:30 a.m. with breakfast for the artists at the Sedona Heritage Museum. It was a cool beginning with the temperature at 47 degrees, but the artists were up to the challenge.

I painted an old buggy that had been moved out of storage for us. (There was a bright red fire engine, too, but I didn't feel up to such saturated reds today.) The buggy stood sentry before the apple-packing barn, which is a beautiful structure made out of the local sandstone. Some of the challenges with this piece included the stonework and the distant mountains, both of which I had to simplify to keep from competing with the buggy. I also took artistic liberty and moved a Toyota Highlander out of the foreground. Here's this 9x12 oil:


After finishing, I had to rush back to the Sedona Art Center to do a painting demonstration at 11 a.m. I'm one of two artists who were invited to demonstrate. I painted in oil today, and Clark Mitchell will do pastel tomorrow. SAC set me up with a portable PA system and a tent, so the spectators could listen and watch in comfort. I had a sell-out crowd. I also got a good demo, something we workshop teachers all pray for but don't always get. This is the view from the back of the Art Barn (9x12, oil):


The rest of the afternoon was spent on the porch of my hosts' house, adjusting the six paintings I've done so far. I've got a good crop, and I can't wait to see them framed!