Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Monday, April 20, 2009

Last Glimpse of New Mexico


"View from Big Arsenic"
5x7, oil


This is our last day in Taos and also in New Mexico. Early tomorrow, we head out for a two-day trip to Chicago to visit family. I don't expect I'll have much time for painting, so I made sure today to paint one last 5x7.

Trina and I drove up to the Wild River Recreation Area near Questa. It seemed a paradoxical place, what with a really good paved road - unusual in rural New Mexico - going through it but no visitors. The WRRA occupies a narrow wedge of land between the Red River and the Rio Grande. At one point, you can actually hike down to the confluence of the two. Dramatic views abound!

We stopped at Big Arsenic campground, and I painted the view of the Rio Grande winding its way down to meet the Red River. I don't have much to say about this one, other than I wanted to do something quick. We had to get home to pack.

By the way, The Artist's Magazine is featuring my video demonstration of "Snowfield Sentinel" on its website. If you haven't seen this short demonstration yet, visit:
http://www.artistsnetwork.com/article/chesley-johnson-video/