Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Thursday, June 11, 2009

York Workshop Redux

Now that I'm home, I've had a chance to unpack a bit and go through the mail. I've got some new, water-miscible oils that I'm looking forward to working with. We've got drizzle and more drizzle expected, so I doubt I'll take them out before the drizzle goes away! Students report that the oils tend to be stiffer than traditional oils. I'll give you my take on them soon.

In the meantime, I'm been scanning in the pieces I did during the workshop I taught in York, Maine. There are two little pieces, 5x7s, that I'm fond of. One of them has almost-cartoonish color, but it gives me a good feeling. Looking at it is almost like being in kindergarten again. It's a bit naive, but with a touch of education. The second is a study of sunlight on water. The tiny white boat, although seemingly incidental, is important in balancing the composition.

"Sun at the Nubble" 5x7, pastel, en plein air




"Sunny Day at Fishermen's Walk" 5x7, pastel, en plein air
SOLD