Saturday, November 7, 2009

Burst of Autumn

As we tie up loose ends in preparation for our trip west, I have vowed to get out almost every day to paint a bit. Just a tiny piece, something with a low stress quotient, to stay limber. After winterizing the lawn mower and weed trimmer, I went out to paint this little maple that caught my eye. I fell in love with the light bouncing into the shadowed side of the shed and the near-incandescent illumination of the leaves.

"Burst of Autumn"
5x7, oil/panel

I'm still using the water-miscible oils. A reader asked if it was because I've developed a sensitivity to mineral spirits. Thankfully, no. Some of my students have started to use them, and I want to expand my knowledge base. So far, I find them a little stiffer than what I'm used to. They seem to call for a bit of medium, which I refuse to use because I want to keep things simple. I add just a tad of water if needed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Use water based oils all the time and find Grumbacher very stiff..prefer to use Holbein which seem more like regular oils.

Miki Willa said...

Fantastic painting! Great composition and colors. Wow!

Michael Chesley Johnson said...

Thanks, Miki! Also anon - may try the Holbeins next.