Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Phthalo Green

"Red Hills" 9x12, oil

One of the new colors in my palette of Gamblin FastMatte alkyd colors is Phthalo Green. I've not used this color before, but when I was painting at the Grand Canyon recently with M.L. Coleman, he mentioned to me that he liked this color better than Phthalo Blue, which I do use. His argument was that the blue was too strong a pigment, and that the green could function as well in the landscape. Phthalo Green is a cool, blue-green, and one can see how it might sometimes be used as a blue.

For the painting above, I did exactly that. The sky I painted with Ultramarine Blue to give it that summer-time feeling of intense sunlight drenching the landscape. (If you've been to the Southwest during the monsoon season, you'll know what I'm talking about!) However, toward the horizon and on the left, I used Phthalo Green rather than blue. It worked perfectly to warm up that part of the sky. I also used the color in the areas of sunlit vegetation, neutralized a bit with Napthol Scarlet and Chromatic Black. I think Phthalo Green will now become a regular member of my traditional oil palette, as well.

By the way, you'll note I've put a new template on this blog. It's cleaner, and in the process of implementing it, I also cleaned up some of the links. Hopefully, it'll work well for you if you're trying to find something! As another bit of news, I've created a blog for our Pumphouse Studio Gallery, which will be located in Sedona. If you've not heard about our new studio space in Sedona, here's a link for that: www.PumphouseStudioGallery.com. Trina and I are looking forward to the new studio space.

10 comments:

Daily Paintings said...

Mike...Really like this, the effect of that Thalo green seems to do the trick!

Michael Chesley Johnson said...

Thanks much!

Bill Cramer said...

I've never had much luck with this green, but you seem to! Hey, nice little gallery. Cool old building. I'll have to drop in next time I'm in Sedona. Looks like you're having a good time there in southern Utah.

Michael Chesley Johnson said...

Thanks, Bill! Btw, Pumphouse Studio Gallery won't be functional until November. We'll either keep it vacant this summer or try to rent it out until we get back.

Anonymous said...

I recently bought some thalo green to mix with aliz crimson for nocturnes. I read that they would make a lovely cool blue, but I'm not seeing it yet...

MLColeman said...

Very pleasing colors and composition,
Michael--would appear that you are
enjoying Utah!

MLC

Michael Chesley Johnson said...

Thanks, M.L. - Utah is beautiful! Anonymous, I think those two colors would give you a nice black, not a blue.

Anonymous said...

Your new blog format is clean, but I miss your longer list of blogs you follow. Any chance you could relist them elsewhere?

Michael Chesley Johnson said...

Anon - In the lower right corner under the blog list, you'll see a link that says "Show All." Click on this, and it'll give you the full list.

Iowa personal injury attorney said...

I'm not sure if it is the new color or not but the sky is really well done in this painting. Seems like you've captured the exact feeling you were attempting to.