Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Acadia Invitational II

As some of you know, I've been in the studio the past few weeks working on some pieces for the upcoming Acadia Invitational II exhibition in Bar Harbor, Maine. Yesterday, Trina and I delivered three pieces to the Argosy Gallery, which is hosting the show.

Argosy invited 30 artists from across the US (and me in Canada) to paint scenes from Mount Desert Island, which is where Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park are located. This is not a "wet paint" event; artists were asked to submit finished pieces that were either started during or inspired by a visit to MDI. Each artist was asked for three pieces, and I'm looking forward to seeing them. It's an impressive list of artists, and includes such luminaries as W. Jason Situ, Elizabeth Tolley and T.M. Nicholas.

There is no end of gorgeous scenery to paint on MDI, and each year, I enjoy teaching my workshop there and sharing some of the locations with students. Over the years, I've done a lot of painting and also photography in an effort to capture the variety of moods and the magic of MDI. Yesterday, after dropping off my paintings, I did more photography and tried to capture some of the spring greens that now quilt the hills.

The show opens with a reception on August 7th at the Bar Harbor Inn, which will display the paintings for two days before moving them to the Argosy II location just off the town green. I'll have more information on time, etc., soon.

Below are my three paintings. One of them you've already seen in a previous post, but I thought I'd post it again.


"Ready for the Season (Bernard Harbor)" 9x12, oil

"Clear Day, Bernard Harbor" 12x16, oil

"Clear Evening, Jordan Pond" 11x14, oil