Friday, July 2, 2010

Grab-n-Go Paintings

I thought I'd post the pastel demonstrations I did during this week's workshop. I'm a big believer in using one's scraps, and these were all done on bits and pieces of Wallis Sanded Pastel Paper that I've saved up. I love the Belgian Mist color because it's a mid-value warm grey. I don't do any underpainting or wash on these, but just dive right in with the pastel. It makes for a very direct way of painting - "grab-n-go," as it were. The nicest thing is this: If the painting doesn't turn out, hey, it was just a scrap!

I do like these, though. Let me know right away if you want any or all of them. Click on each image for a bigger view. E-mail me at mcj.painter_at_gmail.com.

"Rockweed Study" pastel, 2.5"x6"

"East Quoddy Head Panorama" pastel, 3.25"x11.5" - SOLD

"Raccoon Beach Panorama" pastel, 4.25"x11.5"

"Raccoon Beach Glimpse" pastel, 5"x7"

2 comments:

Sweet n sassy said...

What a lovely bunch of paintings. I love saving the little pieces of paper from other works to do the same thing. Love to experiment with pastels on fine sanded paper as well. Definitely an inspiration to work :)

Michael Chesley Johnson said...

Thank you, Chris!