Friday, December 7, 2012

From the Mailbag: Painting Large on a 9x12 Guerrilla Box



Someone asked recently if you can paint in a larger format on Judson's 9x12 Guerrilla Painter Box.  You can!  I regularly paint 12x16 on my box by using the telescoping easel kit.   Since it's hard to describe how this works, I thought I'd show a few pictures.

The mast has a little hook at the top that holds the top of the panel.  The bottom of the panel rests in a little metal bracket, which itself hooks onto the two built-in brackets in the lid.  I also use a heavy-duty knob on the lid,which allows me to give the knob a little extra twist to really secure it.

The mast and the bracket are all part of the telescoping adapter kit.

Although the mast will accommodate a larger panel, I stop at 12x16 - you are still working with only a 9x12 palette, and I like to have a larger palette if I go bigger than 12x16.  (You can, of course, get a palette extension kit that will expand even that.)

Top of the mast

Mast telescopes with a pressure clamp; see the large,
replacement knob on the left of the box lid

The bottom of your panel rests in this bracket

2 comments:

violetta said...

Thank you for your helpful posts this year, especially as I have finally got all my kit togethor and am about as pleased as I can be. In the new year we are going to try to get some enthusiasm and some sort of group to go out in our beautiful surrounding area, wish we could afford to import you as I think your instruction style is very engaging. Daniela

Michael Chesley Johnson said...

Thank you, Violetta! Maybe I can get out there some day.