Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Year of Plein Air Festivals


Painting on Main Street, Sedona

I am calling this the Year of Plein Air Festivals.  I just received word that I have been invited to my third for 2014 - the Sedona Plein Air Festival.  This will be the 10th year for the festival, and my 7th time participating after a two-year hiatus.  I am delighted to be back and I look forward to painting with old friends and to making a few new ones.  It's always a great time!
(By the way, I am teaching a three-Saturday workshop for the organizer, the Sedona Arts Center, starting February 15.  We'll cover plein air painting fundamentals the first Saturday, color in the landscape the second weekend, and putting depth in your paintings the final session.  For details and to register:  http://www.sedonaartscenter.org/School/Faculty/mcj.html).
I've included a few photos from the last Sedona event I participated in, which was in 2012.  This year's festival runs from October 18 through October 25.  Details are still coming, but book mark www.SedonaPleinAirFestival.com to stay current.  I will, of course, be blogging daily from the event.  If you'd like to read some of my past blogs on it, click here.

As I mentioned in earlier posts, I am delighted to be invited back to the Grand Canyon Celebration of Art plein air festival, which runs September 13-21.  This will be my third time participating.  Finally, I have also been invited to the Montague Plein Air Festival on Prince Edward Island (Canada), which runs June 24-29.

That's it!  I think three plein air festivals is all I can handle in a year.  They are fun, but can be gruelling!

Painting on Main Street, Sedona

Main Street, Sedona, Post-Paintout Show


We always have a "Jerome Day" in Jerome, AZ

Quick-Draw by Oak Creek at Los Abrigados Resort

Quick-Draw Sale and Auction at Los Abrigados

Kevin Macpherson, Judge for the Quick-Draw

At the Opening Night Gala