Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Friday, July 22, 2016

Castine Plein Air Festival - 2


The wind blew much of the night, but by dawn, it had calmed a bit.  When I woke around 2:30, I could see a moon hanging over Castine Bay, telling of clear skies.  I wanted to get out early because I'd read that there was a good chance of thunderstorms.  My sources are three different weather sites (NOAA, WeatherUnderground and Weatherbug), and although they differ, this time they seemed to agree.

I was out at 5 a.m. to catch the sunrise.  Clouds had swept in, making for a beautiful one.  I painted another piece immediately following the first.  Both of these were small (6x8), so after a quick breakfast, I headed out to paint a 12x24 at Wadsworth Cove.  The clouds parted, revealing a good deal of blue sky, but still not wanting to be surprised, I moved on to a fourth painting, a 9x12, finishing all four before lunch.  I think that is a record for me.

In the afternoon, I wanted to spend some quiet time with my paintings in the shade.  I hadn't really taken a good look at them.  I'd finish a painting and throw it in the box, and move on to the next one.  It's always good to do this to get an idea of where you are in the process of building good inventory for the show.  I found I had hit the allotted maximum, which is six for this show.

Still, I decided to do one more.  Five in one day!  That is definitely a record for me.  I don't think I've even painted that many in a day at the Grand Canyon.

By the way, for this trip I wanted to carry 8x10s and 6x8s.  I pulled out my EZPort box from Artwork Essentials.  (http://www.artworkessentials.com/products/ezport/index.htm)  This box can carry a whole assortment of panels.  I'll include some photos below of it as well as shots for the day.

Tomorrow, we can paint in the morning - I plan to, even though I think I have all the paintings I need - and then we need to deliver our six to the show after lunch.  The opening reception is from 4 to 6 pm at the Student Union at the Maine Maritime Academy here in Castine.  I hope to see you there!

Oh - it never did rain.

The EZPort


Many configurations


My palette after the 12x24

Not shipwrecked, just painting.  Painters are easy
to spot in the field because of the umbrella.

Artist Michael Vermette