Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Friday, November 3, 2017

Post-Workshop Report: Doug Dawson in Sedona, Arizona


Now and then, I like to sponsor a master artist to teach a workshop.  This week, Doug Dawson came to town.  He's taught workshops for me in Lubec, Maine, and Campobello Island, New Brunswick, but this was his first time in Sedona.  Eager to show him the sights, we went late into the evenings, scoping out locations for the next day.

Doug talks about toning choices for paper

Demonstration of a color study

Critiques every day!

If you don't know Doug, he's a wonderful painter and teacher, adept in both pastel and oil.  A founding member of the Art Students League of Denver, he was honored by the Pastel Society of America with the title of Master Pastelist and also was elected to the Master's Circle of the International Association of Pastel Societies. In 2008, he was named a Pastel Society of America Hall of Fame Honoree. Besides teaching regularly at the League, he travels to several workshops a year, and I'm always excited when I can get him to teach.

Painting with Doug in Jerome
(Doug on the left, me on the right)

Looking into the sun for some nice rim lighting

Talking design in the field

I guided our group to several of my favorite spots, including the ghost town of Jerome, the Tlaquepaque art village and the Jordan Historical Park.  Each of these locations is different in its own way, and often challenging.  The students, who came from as far as New York City and San Francisco, enjoyed a variety of scenery that is hard to find elsewhere.  It was a treat to work with Doug again, and I'm looking forward to next time.

Interlopers - javelinas!
Beautiful moonrise over Snoopy Rock and the Tlaquepaque Chapel

Below are my sketches from the workshop.
(They are available, so if you're interested in any, let me know!)

Ridge View - 9x12 oil 

Ridge - 6x8 oil

Tree Study - 6x8 oil

Hotel - 9x12 oil
And the last one is from my artist-in-residence demo
at L'Abuerge de Sedona for Goldenstein Gallery.  (Also available!)

Sunny Creek - 12x9 oil
Also, I still have a spot left in my November 14-17 workshop.  Let me know if you're interested!