Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Thursday, March 1, 2018

March News from Michael

Winter Comes to Northern New Mexico
March 2018
Ramah, New Mexico

[What follows is my March newsletter that I mailed out today to collectors, patrons, past students and other interested parties.  If you have already received this, my apologies!  Feel free to forward it on to a friend. - MCJ]


It's been a very mild winter here in northern New Mexico. Trina and I have been able to get out most days for a good hike. But as much as we like the great weather, we could use more snow to stave off drought. As I write, spring is nearly upon us. Ducks, coots and geese have already returned to our lake, and the cottonwoods are starting to show some color. All this, of course, means that our annual migration back to Campobello Island isn't far off. Even so, the time left to us is packed with activity.

Exhibitions and Events

Grand Canyon Celebration of Art. In September, 2018, I will make my fifth appearance as an invited artist at this prestigious plein air painting event. A portion of the proceeds goes to a very worthy cause, which is the establishment of a permanent art museum on the South Rim in Grand Canyon National Park. The Canyon has been inspiring beautiful art even before it became a national park, and the Park's large collection, currently sitting in a warehouse, needs a better and more accessible home. Dates for the event are September 9-16, with the sales continuing through January 14, 2019. You can learn more at https://www.grandcanyon.org/events/celebration-of-art-2018/ Also, please don't forget my workshop at Grand Canyon in October! (See below.)

Phippen Museum. I am honored to have two of my large Sedona paintings selected for a special exhibit at the Phippen Museum in Prescott, Arizona. The exhibit, “Cool, Cool Water,” runs March 2-July 22, 2018. My paintings, on loan from Goldenstein Gallery, show Oak Creek at two different locations; one north of Sedona at Slide Rock, and another south of town at Red Rock Crossing. You can get details at https://www.phippenartmuseum.org/.

Scotland. As you may know, Trina and I have extended our Scotland painting trip in June. My request for sponsorship still stands! For only $200, you can get a 6x8 oil painting of Scotland, which includes frame and shipping to the continental US. My previous newsletter has details on this: https://us4.campaign-archive.com/?u=92e63ff8fb786f8bd8592b6c2&id=abf5d53b18 And thank you to those who have already helped out!

Acadia Invitational III. The “Acadia Invitational III” exhibition continues at Argosy Gallery in Bar Harbor, Maine. I attended the opening last July, and I can say this is a stunning show with many masterful paintings. The exhibit will continue until October 2018, but don't delay! Paintings are selling. You can get more details at www.ArgosyGallery.com and see the paintings online at http://www.argosygallery.com/artist.asp?id=96

Workshops

One-on-One Painting Intensive. I have just completed my Fall 2018 / Spring 2019 schedule for this program. Are you an experienced painter looking to take your craft to the next level? Then please consider this one-on-one intensive at my home studio in New Mexico. We'll work side-by-side in a program customized entirely for you. The price includes six nights' lodging and all meals. (There is also a tuition-only option available.) You can find full details at http://www.PaintTheSouthwest.com. I wish I'd had a program like this available to me when I was in the middle of my career!

All-Level Group Workshops in Sedona, Arizona. Although I no longer live near Sedona, I have decided to return twice a year (spring and fall) to conduct an all-level, group workshop. As before, this program runs four days, and we work in the mornings with your afternoons free to paint on your own or to explore. Many painters traveling with non-painting friends or spouses have found this to be a perfect solution—everybody's happy! We also have limited lodging available the studio. For full details, visit http://www.PaintTheSouthwest.com

Michigan. Although my Santa Fe and Indiana painting retreats are filled for this spring, I am teaching a workhop in Lowell, Michigan, at the Franciscan Life Process Center, May 7-9, 2018. For details or to register: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/michael-chesley-johnson-pastel-plein-air-painting-workshop-tickets-21558543183

Ohio Plein Air Society. I am honored to be the judge for the annual 2018 plein air event for this active group—and also to teach a workshop immediately following the judging. The workshop runs October 1-3, 2018. For details, you can view the workshop flyer with details here and registration here.

Maine. My summer program of workshops in Lubec, Maine, resumes July and August 2018. There are only a few spaces left in these, so if you'd like to paint some of Maine's best (and least busy!) landscapes, sign up now. Read the full details are at www.PleinAirPaintingMaine.com

And yet more Maine! Every other year, I teach a workshop in Bernard, on Mount Desert Island, near Acadia National Park. Usually, this is in the fall, but this year, I'll be teaching in August. We'll have warm, glorious weather on what is called Mount Desert Island's “quiet side.” Dates are August 21-24, 2018, with details at: www.acadiaworkshopcenter.com/MCJohnson.html

Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona. October 24-27, 2018. This is a once-in-a-lifetime workshop for me, since the workshop is sponsored not only by the Grand Canyon Field Institute but also Grand Canyon National Park. We'll have special access to the park and a van, so we won't have to ride the shuttles. After several years of painting at the Canyon, I have many great spots to share. Also, if you like to camp, you get complimentary camping during the workshop—as well as free access to the Park. Sign up now at https://www.grandcanyon.org/photography-art-yoga/plein-air-painting/

As always, you can go to my website, www.MChesleyJohnson.com, to see a full list of workshops and to find out about new ones.

That's all for now. Spring is coming!