Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Looking for Feedback on your Paintings?

The only thing missing in this screenshot of a Zoom session is you!

For most of us, painting is a solitary endeavor.  In our studio or out in the field, we work on our canvas and then step back, alone, to evaluate what we've done.  Even if we've learned the important skill of self-critique, the eyes of another may better help us see where to improve.  During my workshops, I give a great deal of feedback on paintings.  For the student, this is often the most rewarding part of the week.

These days, with workshops cancelled, many of you may be missing this feedback.  I can help with that.

Lately, I've been evaluating Zoom as a tool to reach out to students.  Two dozen have participated in my test sessions, and I've been very pleased with the results.  Despite a few technical glitches (resolved) and learning curve issues (mostly resolved), everyone gave the sessions a thumbs-up.

One session offered critiques of student work.  I particularly enjoyed this one, and the students felt it was the most valuable.  In fact, I realized that the Zoom critiques actually can be even more helpful than the ones I give in a face-to-face workshop.

Here's why.  For each of the critiques, I asked for images in advance.  Then, before the session, I ran each image through what I call my “Photoshop mill” and made changes to improve the piece. This is something I cannot do in a workshop because of the preparation time.  And, rather than me just pointing to different parts of a painting and talking about it—which is all I can do in a workshop—I was actually able to share my computer screen and show the changes, step by step.

In some ways, Zoom is a poor substitute for the rich interaction one experiences in a workshop.  But in this special case, it's much better.

So, I  want to make you an offer.  For $25, I will critique two of your paintings and both show and discuss the changes with you via Zoom.  If you'd like to take advantage of this offer, you can sign up right here:

Sign Up for a Zoom Critique

Once I receive payment, I'll send an e-mail confirmation and let you know where to send the two images.  We'll also set up a date and time for our session then.

Here are formatting guidelines:

  • JPEG format 
  • 2000 pixels on the longest side (or if pixels give you trouble, just try to keep the file under 2 megabytes in size)  
  • Send these as attachments to your e-mail and not embedded in the text as "inline" images

And here are guidelines for choosing which paintings to have critiqued:

  • Landscape paintings only (no still lifes, figures or portraits)
  • Paintings can be en plein air or studio
  • Paintings should be recent work; you are most likely a better painter than you were five or ten years ago, and my suggestions will be more helpful to you

I hope you'll take advantage of my offer.  Painting is lonely enough without having to do your own critiques!

Here's a short video of how it works: