Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Sunday, May 22, 2011

May Newsletter

"Path to the Sea" 9x12, oil - up for auction until May 31

May 2011
Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada

On our 3100-mile journey from Arizona, we rode a wave of springtime blooming.  When we left Arizona, the irises were finishing; by the time we got to our first workshop in Illinois, the daffodils had just popped up; at the next workshop in Indiana, the dogwoods bloomed on our second day; and by the time we got to the last workshop, in Ohio, the lilacs were full but ready to call it quits.  Campobello, still swathed in late spring fog and moisture, hasn't quite gotten there yet.  Our apple trees and lilacs hold countless tight little buds, but you can feel the tension.  One warm, sunny day, and the tsunami of spring will arrive here, too.

After three full workshops while on the road, Trina and I are glad to be home.  I have a little over a month before the next series of workshops begin.  During this respite, I'll be delivering paintings to my two new galleries:  Laughing Raven in Lubec, Maine, and Green Drake Gallery in Millheim, Pennsylvania.  (Green Drake's website is www.greendrakeart.com.)  I'll also be painting some large pieces for my show at Sunbury Shores in  St Andrews NB, which runs August 12-September 7.

In June, I'll be participating in the annual Plein Air Painters of the Bay of Fundy paintout and exhibition.  As you may know, we alternate between the US and Canada each year.  This year, the event will be in Eastport, Maine.  Dates for the paintout are June 25-26, with the exhibition running June 27-July 22.  The reception will be Friday, July 1, 4-6 pm Eastern Time.  All events will be at the Next Door Gallery at 8 Boynton Street in Eastport.  See www.pleinairfundy.org for updates.

In July, I'll also be part of another show, this time a pastel invitational in Qualicum Beach, British Columbia.  The show will feature not just works by well-known painters such as Andrew McDermott and Diana Ponting but also historical works by A.Y. Jackson, Harley Brown and others.  The show runs July 18-August 14 at the Old School Gallery.  For details, visit  http://members.shaw.ca/dfgray/Pastel%20by%20Invite2.htm.

I'm proud to announce that I've been invited to another prestigious plein air event.  This one is "In the Footsteps of Thomas Moran," or the Zion National Park Invitational.  It runs October 31-November 4.  The schedule is still being finalized, but you can visit www.zionpark.org for updates, and I, of course, will keep you posted.  This makes my third invitational event for 2011, with the others being the Grand Canyon Celebration of Arts (September 10-17, www.grandcanyon.org ) and the Sedona Plein Air Festival (October 22-29, www.sedonapleinairfestival.com.)  It's going to be a very busy fall!

By the way, I still have room in my workshop at Acadia National Park.  This will be my 7th year teaching for the Acadia Workshop Center.  If you're interested in this, or in any of my Campobello Island workshops, please see the listings at www.paintcampobello.com.  (Click here for the Acadia workshop.)  My Campobello workshops are filling fast, so don't hesitate!

I'm still taking names if you're interested in going with me to New Zealand in March 2013.  I've set up a site where I'll be posting details - www.PleinAirNewZealand.com.  Also, my friend Adele Earnshaw, a native New Zealander who is coordinating the trip, has a blog where she is posting about places we'll be painting - http://paintnewzealand.blogspot.com/.

Finally, about the painting at the top of the newsletter.  It's available for auction on eBay and starting for a very reasonable reserve.  Click here for the auction.  I plan to offer for auction a painting with each newsletter I send out.

That's all for now.  Have a great spring!

Michael & Trina