Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Workshop Openings Downeast Maine & Canadian Maritimes

Artist's Retreat Studio & Gallery in Lubec, Maine

I will soon get back to my educational blog posts, but I want to let everyone know that I've got only FIVE openings left this summer in my plein air painting workshops.  You can see what openings remain at http://paintcampobello.com/sched.html.

For one week, we are offering a special package:

Get six nights lodging at Artist's Retreat Studio & Gallery PLUS a four-day workshop for $800 USD.  Lodging from Sunday night, August 9, through Friday night, August 14.  Workshop, August 11-14 (Tue-Fri).  One person only or a couple who can share a bed.  For details on lodging, visit www.ArtistsRetreatMaine.com.  For details on workshop, visit www.PaintCampobello.com.

I know some of you out there really want to come out to this area to paint!  I  hope you'll take advantage of this special package or one of the other openings I have.

Now that you've read to the end of this post, I'm feeling a little guilty.  I really should give you some plein air painting information.  Well, here's a book I've been reading that I'd like to share.  It's the Metropolitan Museum of Art's exhibition catalog for a show they had of Hudson River School painter Sanford Robinson Gifford's work several years ago.  I was interested to learn that Gifford was the only member of that group who was actually born in the Hudson River area.  Also, he was quite the traveler, and took his sketchbox everywhere.  In one section, one of his letters is quoted that tells exactly what he took in his suitcase:  three shirts, one pair of pants, two travel books, two classics of literature, the sketchbox and maybe a couple of other small items.  The whole thing weighed only 15 pounds!  Other things he needed he bought on the road, such as an extra pair of shoes.

You can download the book Hudson River School Visions: The Landscapes of Sanford R. Gifford here.