Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Wednesday, May 5, 2021

May Newsletter

Arizona Sycamores, 12x9 Pastel - Available

As I write, snow showers are drifting through our little valley.  Even so, we have enjoyed many warm days lately, and spring continues.  Hummingbirds have returned to our feeders; the cactuses are starting to show signs of bloom; and our native grasses are going to seed.  Plein air painting season is here!

Many of you may remember that I was scheduled to be on the faculty for May's Plein Air Convention in Santa Fe.  Because of the pandemic, it was moved to 2022, but as a replacement, the organizers created a virtual event, Plein Air Live.  For it, I and 40 other artists shared our expertise with over 1300 painters around the globe.  For Beginner's Day, I demonstrated my gouache technique.  For the remaining three days, I watched the demonstrations of other artists, participated in the simultaneous chat rooms, and enjoyed meeting other painters and vendors in the breakout sessions.  The only thing missing was the casual encounter one might have in a hallway or over a buffet table. 

Just before Plein Air Live, I taught a workshop in Sedona, Arizona.  The weather couldn't have been better.  We had warmth and sunshine, and everyone had plenty of opportunity to paint.  Sedona's always been a favorite place of mine for painting, and I'm looking forward to leading a painting retreat there in November.  (See below for details.)

Demonstrating in Sedona

With the warmer weather, Trina and I will hitting the road again with our camper van.  Our first stop will be the San Juan range of southern Colorado.  I plan to take my gouache kit with me, and I'll make sure to share my sketches on my Instagram and Facebook feeds.  After that, we may be home in New Mexico for awhile.  The Canadian border is still an uncertainty at this time, but we are hoping it will open soon, and that we'll be able to head to Campobello Island this summer.  In August, I do have a workshop and a retreat to run in Lubec, Maine, and these will happen even if we can't get into Canada.  I'll keep you posted!

I'd like to let you know about my upcoming workshops and retreats.  As before, these will be held entirely outdoors and follow CDC recommendations on masks and distancing (even if you'd had the vaccine.)  Lodging and meals are not included unless noted otherwise.

  • August 3-6, 2021:  Lubec, Maine.  All-level workshop. $300
  • August 8-13, 2021:  Lubec, Maine. Painting retreat for experienced painters.  $300.
  • September 26-October 1, 2021:  Taos, New Mexico. Painting retreat for experienced painters. $300.
  • November 2-5, 2021:  Sedona, Arizona.  Painting retreat for experienced painters. $300
  • October-November, 2021:  Ramah, New Mexico.  Private Painting Intensive (one-on-one).  $700 tuition-only option. I am no longer offering lodging/meals, but I will gladly recommend places to stay.
For more information on any of these, please see the workshops on my website:  https://www.mchesleyjohnson.com/workshops/  Also, check the website now and then for any additional workshops and retreats I might schedule.  

That's all for now.  Stay well!