Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Looking Toward Autumn: Some Events!

View in browser

Here's a 24x30 studio oil painting I'm working on
this week.  I will have more to say about this in a
future post.


Yes, I know it's still July, but summer's quickened its pace.  The clock always races faster when one's busy, and it's about to go even faster:  I'm preparing for a workshop next week, then leading a painting retreat, judging a show for the Vermont Pastel Society, and finally, participating in Pastel Live.  (You can get details on this online convention for pastel painters here.)   With all this happening in August, I expect the month to barrel past me at Warp Factor 10.

And what next? you ask.  Well, for me, summer on Campobello Island comes to a close near the end of August.  At that time, I pack up and head for home in New Mexico, where I have a rather busy fall ahead.  Here are a few things that might interest you, including a painting retreat that is still open.

Escalante Grand Staircase in Utah

September 15-25, 2022
Escalante Canyons Art Festival (Escalante, UT)
The Escalante Grand Staircase area is a fantastic part of Utah with many beautiful rock forms and colors.  As a participating artist, I'm looking forward to painting here again.

Rio Grande River in Taos, New Mexico

October 2-7, 2022
Taos Painting Retreat for Experienced Painters (Taos, NM)
My painting retreats, unlike my workshops, have no formal instruction, but you'll have the opportunity learn plenty if you wish.  We'll have morning critiques after which I'll take you to one of my favorite painting spots.  I'll also give “formal” demonstrations during any downtime.  Afternoons are more free-form where we can paint together as a group or separately, or explore galleries and shops.  Last year, we had a memorable tour of the Couse-Sharp Historic Site.  Price is $300, which does not include meals or lodgings, both of which you would be responsible for.  The retreat is full, but I will be happy to put you on the wait list.  Contact me if you're interested.

Watson Lake in Prescott, Arizona

October 13-15, 2022
Prescott Plein Air Festival (Prescott, AZ)
Prescott, a historic frontier mining town, offers a wealth of beauty for the painter.  I've hiked in the area many times, but this will be my first time painting there.  I can't wait!

November 3, 2022
Demonstration for Arizona Plein Air Painters
I'll be demonstrating at the APAP monthly meeting in Phoenix.

Oak Creek and Cathedral Rock in Sedona, Arizona

November 7-10, 2022
Sedona Painting Retreat for Experienced Painters (Sedona, AZ)
I lived and painted in the Sedona area for ten years, and I know all the best places.  I'll be sharing my knowledge of some of my favorite painting locations with participants.  I have a couple of spots left, so contact me if you are interested.  Price is $300, which does not include meals or lodgings, both of which you would be responsible for.