Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Saturday, September 9, 2023

Help Me Get Back to Bonnie Scotland

View in browser

**Authentically Human! Not Written by AI**

Eilean Donan Castle
I won't be going here on this next trip, but I'm sure to find
castles wherever I go!

I'm not sure if it's something in my DNA, but lately I've had an urge to return to Scotland.  Both sides of my family have roots there, so maybe this is similar to what salmon go through when they get the ancient call to return home.  To be honest, I can't stop scrolling through the hundreds of photos of beautiful scenery from my last two trips, making myself just a tad miserable.

Well, now I've decided to do something about it.  In September 2024, I'm going to spend an entire month in Scotland, painting.  Bring on the guidebooks!

But how to get there?  I've just been reading about the explorer, Sir Joseph Banks, who went with Captain James Cook to the South Pacific.  Banks was very wealthy, even by the standards of 18th century aristocracy; he was able not only to pay for his own passage but even for a few assistants.  Yet he was unusual among explorers, as most of his kind had to solicit support from patrons.  This wasn't a one-way street, however, as patrons always received something in return.  If it wasn't goods from the trip, it was at least a lengthy "thank you" in whatever hefty travelogue that was eventually published.

If you haven't guessed already, I am asking for your support for this trip.  I promise you'll get more than a "thank you."  I offer two options: You can get a painting, or you can get a painting and a copy of my new book.  THROUGH A PAINTER'S BRUSH: SCOTLAND will be like my other PAINTER’S BRUSH books (all available at Amazon), filled with images of my paintings and photos plus personal essays and journal entries. 

Here's a draft of the cover

I'm running this program through my Patreon page, which offers different levels of subscription. Here are the details:

At $25/month.  When you reach $300, I'll put you on the list for receiving a framed 6x8 painting of Scottish scenery based on the reference materials (gouache sketches, pencil drawings, photos) I gather on the trip.  I offered this last time, and everyone was extremely pleased with the paintings they received. I would expect to ship the paintings in time for Christmas 2024. Shipping to the lower 48 US states is included. (Other countries will be extra.)

At $28/month. When you reach $335, you'll not only get a 6x8 painting but also the new book.  I plan to have this out in the spring of 2025 with approximately 120 pages. Shipping directly from Amazon to the lower 48 states is included. (Other countries will be extra.)

You can get more details and sign up hereOf course, it you would prefer to pay the whole amount up front and not deal with Patreon, just let me know directly.  Also, it's a policy of "first come, first served."  

BY THE WAY, we are considering opening up one week as a painting retreat for a few participants.  If interested, let me know!  You need to be an experienced painter.

I’ve been to Scotland twice before.  I painted on the Isle of Skye, the Central Lowlands (including Stirling Castle!), and also Orkney (where I have family roots.)  This third trip will take me to Aberdeenshire, the Cairngorms and elsewhere on Scotland's east coast.  The country is an enchanting place with a vast variety of stunning landscapes, and I am eager to go back and paint some more and to share my experience with you.  I will be grateful for your support.  In the meantime, here are some photos from my last trips:

Painting at Talisker Bay

Near Glencoe

The Cuillins