Monday, August 31, 2009

Experiments with Grounds - 1

I'm embarking on a set of experiments with different grounds. In the past year or so, I've been using Blick Master Gesso (three coats) on hardboard, but I'm finding it a bit too slick and unabsorbent for my tastes.

So, here's the first test: Winsor & Newton Oil Painting Ground (two coats) on hardboard. It seems pretty right to me - just enough absorbency and roughness. I didn't sand it at all. The downside is, it uses petroleum distillates.

(For the record, I'm painting alla prima, wet-into-wet, using Gamblin paint with a bit of Gamsol to thin and a tad of Galkyd to keep paint creamy.)

"Retreating Fog & Tide"
9x12, oil/panel

3 comments:

Tracey Mardon said...

Have you tried the Gamblin Ground yet? That's what I use and I like it.

Michael Chesley Johnson said...

Hi, Tracey. I'm told by Gamblin that their ground will actually be less absorbent. However, that is one of my next tests!

Nancy Merkle said...

I'll be eager to read about your experiments. I also use Blick Master Gesso on panels and have been curious about other possibilities. Thanks for sharing your efforts!