Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Friday, October 5, 2012

Wrap-Up: Acadia National Park Plein Air Workshop

Mascot at The Moorings


We've had a great week here on the "quiet side" of Mount Desert Island, painting both in Acadia National Park and other locations nearby.  The weather provided some sunny days with hard-blue seas, but also some days of moody overcast.  In my opinion, you're not experiencing Downeast Maine unless you've got a day or two of clouds and drizzle!  The students rolled with the punches and turned out some really good work.

Typically, each day started with a short lecture in the studio to cover some fundamental concept.  Following this, we went out into the field where I did a demonstration.  Some of the topics covered included painting trees and rocks, abstracting the landscape and creating color harmony.  Although I have a set curriculum for the workshop, I often am able to customize it to suit the students, which I did this week.   We ended up having an advanced color theory chat one afternoon - something we often don't get to cover in an "all level" workshop.

By the way, I had students from Maine, New Jersey, New York and Texas this time around.   They enjoyed the week's offerings, which included a day painting at The Moorings, a fantastic resort right on the water in Manset with beautiful grounds, and lunch at Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bernard.  I'll be doing this plein air workshop again June 18-21 in 2013.  I'm already getting signups for this, and I hope you'll join us.  If you're interested, visit www.acadiaworkshopcenter.com.

Now we're off on the next leg of our trip, to Middlebury, Vermont.  I'm teaching a two-day plein air workshop for the Middlebury Studio School Sunday and Monday, October 7-8.  We still have spaces left, so if you're interested, visit http://middleburystudioschool.org/ .

Finally, here are some photos from the week.  Enjoy!