Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Monday, October 8, 2012

Wrap-Up: Middlebury, Vermont, Plein Air Workshop




After torrential rain on our way from Maine to Vermont, the first day of my Vermont workshop started cool and overcast but, thankfully, dry.  Both days offered intermittent sun, which made for some challenging painting.  But, my students were up to the task and did a great job of "capturing the moment."

I have a fond place in my heart for Middlebury.  I first came to this town back in 1977 for graduate school, and it was a wonderfully "hippy" place with lots of arts and crafts and good vibes.  Although it's a little more refined than it was back then, it still has many of the qualities that endeared it to me.  Way back when, I took a pottery workshop in the very same space in which I taught my plein air workshop this week at the Middlebury Studio School.   We painted both days down by Otter Creek Falls, just off Main Street, and it was a great feeling to be back in my old haunts.

Now, it's off to Millheim, Pennsylvania, for a four-day workshop through Green Drake Gallery.  (We still have a few spots available in this one, too.)  I'm looking forward to my visit!

Here are some photos from the Middlebury workshop.




Falls Oil Demo - 9x12 (Not sure about the photo,
but I'll repost it if necessary when I get to Arizona)