Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Sunday, December 29, 2019

Painting in Series

Secret Shadows
8x12 Oil
Available


Many of us painters like to work in a series.  What's a series?  It's a set of paintings that share something in common.  Usually, subject or theme is the common thread, although it could be just about anything.  We paint in series partly to keep our interest up or our painting arm limber, or to work toward a show.  Sometimes, it's to really learn about our subject.

We can paint a series without meaning to.  If you have enough inventory, you can probably pull a series of out it.  (This is, in fact, how some artists put together a one-man show.)  I did this recently with paintings I've done of our local lake.  Although my neighborhood is rich with subject matter, somehow I always end up at the lake.  I take my students there; I paint by myself there.  It's such a pleasant spot, with red willows marching down to the water's edge, coots and ducks poking around the islands of pickerel weed, and sometimes an osprey or eagle soaring overhead, that I can't resist.

I've pulled out my lake paintings and put them on a single web page to see how they hang together.  (You can see the full Ramah Lake Series and purchase them here.)  I've included a few in this post so you can see the variety of views.  Will I paint more there?  Definitely.  Will I make this an actual show?  Probably not yet.  I have many, many more paintings I want to make of the lake first.

Ramah Lake Study II
6x8 Oil
Available

Secret Cliffs
6x8 Oil
Available