Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Monday, March 2, 2009

On the Cover of Judson's

I just found out today that my painting, "Low Tide, Friar's Bay," is on the cover of the latest Judson's Art Outfitters Almanac No. 7. Also, an excerpt from my book, Backpacker Painting, appears on page 42. If you don't get this catalog of fine outdoor painting gear, you should, even if it's just to see the cover! Visit www.pochade.com.

Today, I took my 9x12 Guerrilla Box (from Judson's, of course) out to Slide Rock State Park. The park offers some incredible slickrock, and with the snowmelt happening now up Oak Creek toward Flagstaff, some pretty rough white water. But it wasn't the torrential flow that caught my fancy. It was a quiet pool full of green water surrounded by pink rock walls. There's a little bathhouse on one of the rock ledges, and I chose to make that the focus.

I've been playing with some of Gamblin's Radiant oil paints. In this one, I used Radiant Green. It was just perfect for the sun-lit trees on the rock ledge and some of the reflections.

"Slide Rock Bathhouse"
9x12, oil


(By the way, I was going to title this, "The Cover of the Rolling Stone," but the old Dr Hook & The Medicine Show song may not have clicked with some of you younger readers.)