Saturday, May 30, 2009

On the Road: IAPS, Albuquerque, New Mexico

There's only one day left in the IAPS (International Association of Pastel Societies) convention, so I thought it was time to post a brief report. For me, it's been a busy time, since I gave not one but two, well-attended demonstrations, which required a certain amount of preparation and practice. In addition, I've been squeezing in as many sessions as I can with the other artists and, yes, socializing!

Part of what the convention is about is seeing old friends, meeting people I've "met" only through e-mail, and making entirely new friends. Old friends include Bob Rohm, Doug Dawson, Albert Handell, Anita Louise West, Maggie Price and members of the pastel societies I belong to. People I've only "met" through e-mail include my Pastel Journal editors, Anne Hevener and Sarah Strickley; Jamie Markle, editor for North Light Books; John Heilman of Heilman Designs; Kitty Wallis; Margaret Evans; and a whole bunch of people from WetCanvas, the on-line artists' forum. Finally, I count among my new friends Duane Wakeham, with whom I took a full-day masters' workshop, and Terry Ludwig, who gave me the following gift. It's a New Mexico chile, made out of purple pastel.

With a whole day left, I'm sure I'll see even more old friends, meet even more e-mail buddies, and make even more new friends. Tonight's the banquet, and I'll be seated with Jack Richeson of Richeson Art and my fellow Pastel Artists Canada members.

How've I spent the last few days? I've been in Duane's workshop, as noted above; I've watched demonstrations by Kim Lordier and Lorenzo Chavez; and I enjoyed The Pastel Journal's Tenth Anniversary party. Also, as I mentioned, I did two demonstrations. Both were on "Painting the Canadian Maritimes." I think people enjoyed my video and PowerPoint presentations, which took only 10 minutes out of my 2 hours. I think they also enjoyed the actual demonstration. In my first session, I had 51 attendees, and in my second, 47. That's nearly 100 people!

Here is the demonstration from the second session. It is 12x18 on Wallis paper (white). I used a greyscale underpainting, which I made with Gallery semi-hard grey pastels and alcohol.

Now, it's time to dresss for the banquet!

5 comments:

martha W said...

Sounds like a great weekend..enjoyable and productive in many different ways,..what a treat.Following the blog of a talented plein air painter, and a long time desire to see Scotland has inspired me to sign up for Maggie Price's workshop at the end of August! Have a good workshop in ELP, (wish I could be there) Thanks Michael!

d said...

Michael, it was such a pleasure meeting you, and your demo this morning was ..... mmmmmm, how do I put this into words??? Well, I wanted to go home immediately and get my hands dusty :-)!!! It was wonderful, and you made it look so easy. BTW, the photo doesn't begin to do the painting justice! Nice sharing the dinner table with you the other night, too. Have a safe trip back home.

Dot Hoffman

vickiandrandyrossart said...

Hey Michael! I am here too...friends of Urania, Les DeMlle, and others. Hope to cross your path...also Ann Templeton.

vickiandrandyrossart said...

Hey Michael! I am here too...friends of Urania, Les DeMlle, and others. Hope to cross your path...also Ann Templeton.

Michael Chesley Johnson said...

Thanks, everyone! And you're right, Dot - I don't have my best camera here, so the photo isn't as good as it could be! Once I'm home, I'll reshoot it with the Olympus Evolt E-500.