Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Holiday Newsletter



November/December 2014
Sedona, Arizona

The last time I wrote, we were en route from Campobello Island to Arizona. Now, we've been in Arizona for just over a month, but what a jam-packed month it's been! Here are some highlights:
  • As soon as we arrived, I launched into the Sedona Plein Air Festival. We had excellent weather for the event, which included painting at two of the local wineries. I sold my large painting of Alcantara Vineyards during the evening gala there, and then I won a Merit Award, presented by artist Jim McVicker, for a large pastel I painted from beneath Midgely Bridge with a view of Oak Creek Canyon. (You can read more about the event and see my winning painting here.)
  • After the Sedona event, I taught a regular Paint Sedona workshop, but this was quickly followed by seven days of an intense mentoring workshop with master artist Albert Handell. Trina and I spent a wonderful day touring Albert and Jeanine around the area before the workshop, and then it was twelve-hour days until the end. These were incredibly productive days. Albert had such a great time, he's coming back in April 2016. (You can read about the upcoming 2016 workshop here.)
  • Then, as soon as that workshop was over, I had to paint a series of small pieces for the Kolb Studio at Grand Canyon to replenish the paintings that were sold at the Celebration of Art there in September. (You can see the paintings I delivered here.)
  • Finally, I am honored to have been made a Signature Member of the American Impressionist Society. This prestigious label allows me to put "AIS" after my signature on paintings.
And that brings us to today. Now I'm writing two articles for The Artist's Magazine, painting a charity piece for the Sedona Arts Center, and keeping up with an online workshop through Artists Network University, as well as more Paint Sedona workshops. Oh, and I am going to find time to paint a little for myself. Plus, I'll be working on a new book!

The holidays are a time to catch my breath. Last week I hiked up Lizard Head, a famous local landmark, and my thigh muscles are still aching from the trip down . Later, we'll take out our refurbished bicycles to get a jump-start on a New Year's resolution. I'm sure we'll make some field trips during our time off, too. But before we head out on a bike ride, here are some things I'd like to leave you with.
  • 2015 Calendar. My annual calendar has 13 images, half from the Southwest and half from Downeast Maine and the Canadian Maritimes. I hand-picked these from my favorites. This year, the calendar is only $18. You can see a preview and buy it at this link.
  • Holiday Sale. Each year, I try to have a holiday sale. It almost didn't happen this year, but I finally got it together with Trina's help in selecting pieces. This year, each sketch, no matter the size, is an even $50. You can see and purchase items here.
  • Videos. Don't forget that my three new videos are available from North Light Shop as DVDs and as downloads. These videos are a great deal since each one is about two hours long. Here's a link to previews and more information.
  • Paint Campobello. It's not too early to think about signing up for a plein air painting workshop on Campobello Island or in Lubec, Maine, July-August 2015 this summer. Visit www.PaintCampobello.com.
And don't forget that all of my books are now available at Amazon! You can visit my Amazon author site here to buy the books: http://www.amazon.com/author/johnson.

That's all the news for now. Have a truly blessed holiday season!

Michael & Trina & Saba