Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Friday, February 1, 2019

My Article on Painting Snow -- and Painting IN the Snow!

The article in PleinAir Magazine. 
Featured here are two paintings by Marc Dalessio. 
(Digital screenshot, since I get only the digital version of the magazine.)

My latest article, "What to Know About Painting Snow," appears in the current (Feb/Mar 2019) issue of PleinAir Magazine.  Apparently, with this week's monstrous winter storm hitting the north, the article is timely.  I've already had one reader write to me to say:  "The article was very inspiring; I've ordered a yard full."

In the article, I offer my own tips on painting snow, based on my wintertime experiences in the Canadian Maritimes as well as in the high desert of New Mexico.  But I also interviewed several other artists of note:  T.M. Nicholas, Barbara Jaenicke, Marc Dalessio, Chuck Marshall, T.J. Cunningham, D.F. Gray, Lynn Boggess and Carol Strock Wasson.  Thank you to all the artists who gave me such valuable information.

One thing to note about the magazine is that, in addition to the print version, it offers an "expanded digital" version.  The digital version has many more images that you won't find in the print version.

Here are the images of mine that are included in the article.

Snow on Shiprock 6x12 Oil by Michael Chesley Johnson
Collection the Artist

Lake Snow 10x12 Oil by Michael Chesley Johnson
Collection the Artist

Study for "By the Bridge" 12x9 Oil by Michael Chesley Johnson
Private Collection

By the Bridge 30x24 Oil by Michael Chesley Johnson
Private Collection