Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Workshop Paintings

One pleasure in teaching from my studio gallery is that my group is small (anywhere from one to four students), which means that I have time to paint alongside my students. One difficulty is that I usually paint to illustrate the day's lesson, which means I might be painting subject matter that doesn't always "speak" to me right away. However, it's nearly always the case that once I start painting, whatever subject I've chosen soon strikes up an intimate dialogue.

Such is the case with the following paintings. I painted them over the last two weeks during workshops and in my "off" hours. (As always, you can click on the image to see a larger version.)


"Undercut," 8x10, oil en plein air

"Skinning Shed, Morning" 8x10, oil en plein air

"Skinning Shed, High Tide" 9x12, oil en plein air

"Sugar Loaf Rock, Fog" 9x12, pastel, en plein air

"Head Harbour Light Rock" 9x12, pastel, en plein air

"Upper Duck Pond, Fog" 9x12, pastel, en plein air

"Glacial Erratic" 9x12, pastel, en plein air