Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Monday, November 14, 2011

A Guerrilla Painter's Notebook II



A little over two years ago, I wrote about Carl Judson's A Guerrilla Painter's Notebook. The book mentions that it is only the first volume, so I wrote that I was looking forward to the next one. Well, it's here - A Guerrilla Painter's Notebook II. And just like the last one, it's a really good read.

In this one, Carl, who is the founder of Judson's Art Outfitters and the inventor of the Guerrilla Box, of which I'm a big fan, goes on more adventures. He paints Nevada and France, experiments with acrylics and explains his color choices for his oil palette. One of my favorite essays, though, talks about a 26-foot panorama he did of the landscape around his home. Covering 24 panels, the panorama is a beautiful piece. I enjoyed reading the detailed description of how he went about painting it and managed to achieve a consistent "look" among all the paintings. (Tip: He unified the skies after he'd painted them.) It got me excited enough to consider perhaps a similar project.

Here's a picture of Carl out in the field, pondering his panorama:



I recommend the book, and it'd make a nice stocking stuffer for your favorite plein air painter. (I'm sure stuffing your own stocking is perfectly OK!)

A Guerrilla Painter's Notebook II by Carl Judson. 32 pages, and more images than I want to count. $9.95. Visit http://www.judsonsart.com/pleinair/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2071&idcategory=88 .

On another note, I want to mention again my upcoming painting retreat in Sedona for the week of March 26th. This program is only for intermediate to advanced painters or professionals. Participants are expected to be comfortable with painting outdoors and their chosen medium. Painters may work in any medium, but I'll be working in oil or pastel.

For the retreat, group lodging is included that has cooking facilities so participants may make their own meals. Artists are expected to stay at the lodging to ensure an "immersion" experience in which painting is talked about in casual conversation, and impromptu demonstrations, outings or group critiques may result.

This is not a workshop with formal instruction, but I'll demonstrate daily and offer end-of-the-day critiques. I'll also guide you to some of Sedona's prime painting spots.

Price is $1000, which includes six nights lodging (arrive Sunday, depart Saturday). Food is not included, but we'll have a kitchen. The retreat is limited to four participants. (Spouses and non-painting partners may be included, depending on the lodging.) If you're interested, please let me know right away. I need to have four committed by Thanksgiving in order to secure space. I hope you'll join us!