Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

More Plein Air Painting in Carmel, California

Sand Hill Cove Overlook, 12x16 oil


Point Lobos is such a special place that I decided to pay another $10 for one more day of painting there.  (You can avoid the fee by parking on the highway and walking in - this is actually allowed by the park - but since I'm also doing a lot of hiking on this trip, I didn't want to wear myself out lugging in my gear.)  I found a nice spot to paint overlooking Sand Hill Cove.

For this painting, I used two new products - Archival Lean Medium and Gamblin's Gold Ochre.  The Gold Ochre, I found, is perfect for creating areas of warm, sunlit water as well as the highlights on the rocks when mixed with white.  The Archival Lean Medium is something I've wanted to try for awhile.  Ann Templeton recommended it to me years ago, but this was my first time using it.  It's surprisingly thin, much thinner than other alkyd mediums I've used, and it dips with a brush  more easily.  In other words, it's not goopy.

Painting here is a fully-loaded sensory experience.  When the sun hits the sage-covered cliffs, the air is filled with a wonderful, herbal scent.  When the tide is right, some of the little "sea caves" that occupy the space between water and cliff make a thunderous noise.  Yesterday, sea lions bawled in the distance as I painted at my overlook.  And I could smell them, too!

Sea lions

Trina managed to snap this photo of me with me painting far away



Here's a short video of surf and rocks: