Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Riverwalk – Plein Air Sketch to Studio


If you've been following my blog, you'll know it's been a busy few weeks.  Right now, Trina and I are restocking our two-person show in Lubec that opened last Saturday.  Sometimes, a gallery will let patrons take away what they've bought, but at other times they'd prefer to have all the work stay until the end of the show.  We have a little of both for this one – there are paintings with red dots, but there are also empty spaces!  So, after a successful opening, we are endeavoring to fill those spaces.

"The Geometry of Nature: Two Visions" continues through September 2 at the Mulholland Market at 50 Water Street, Lubec, Maine.  The gallery is open every day but Wednesday, from 10-4.

But being busy doesn't mean I can't find time to paint.  While watching our own gallery on Campobello Island in the afternoons, I pulled out a pencil sketch I made during my "Plein Air Sketch to Studio" workshop in South Bend, Indiana, this past spring.  The sketch never made it to the studio.  One of the students said she'd like to see what becomes of it.   With that in mind, I decided to play with it.

I wanted to experiment in a small format – 6"x8" – and with minimal color and keeping things abstract.  Edges and temperature control were my focus.  For simplicity, I narrowed my oil palette to indanthrone blue, burnt umber, white and just a touch of cadmium red (all Gamblin paints.)  At the top of the post is the sketch, and below is the finished painting.  I'm pretty happy with the effect and pleased that I stopped where I did.

River Walk, 6x8 oil

Next week, artist Albert Handell will be in Lubec, teaching a plein air workshop under my sponsorship.  I'll be busy, again, but I'm really looking forward to working with this master painter.  I'll be taking lots of pictures and notes.

By the way, I still have spaces in two of my workshops immediately following.  September 3-6 is an advanced/mentoring week; September 10-13 is for all levels.  Visit www.PaintCampobello.com for details.