Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Summer Workshop Wrap-Up

Summertime Painting at Its Best

For the past two weeks, I've been helping students wrestle the vast maritime landscape into small canvases—with success!  I showed them how to crop a scene, parse out value relationships, make what I call the "best guess" at color, and then adjust it all to a beautiful finish.  Plus, I got to do it all under sunny blue skies with a fair breeze.  Well, actually, we did have a few days of fog that sat right at the water's edge, but that's all part of the Downeast experience.  Life doesn't get better than this.

I now base my plein air painting workshops at a beautifully-restored US Coast Guard campus, West Quoddy Station.  We have a spacious classroom for lectures and critiques, but here's the best part:  the campus is only a half-mile from Quoddy Head State Park.  The park offers the painter rugged cliffs, crashing surf and a big tidal range (28 feet) that exposes a seabed filled with interesting rocks and colorful seaweed.  I love painting here.

I'm offering these Maine workshops only twice a summer now.  (Some have asked if I'm retiring.  No, I'm just "refocusing.")  And for my past students and experienced painters, I offer a weeklong painting retreat, also based at the Coast Guard campus.  I'm already getting reservations for 2020, so if you are interested, please sign up soon, as I only take a handful of students for each workshop.  You can find full details and also sign up at www.PleinAirPaintingMaine.com  I hope to see some of you next summer.

In the meantime, I thought I'd share some of my demonstrations and photos from the workshops.

Sunny Day Cliffs - 9x12 oil - Available

Fog at the Point - 9x12 oil - Available

Into the Fog - 9x12 Oil - Available

Lowering - 9x12 Pastel - Available

Off Quoddy Head - 9x12 Oil - Available

Ragged Point - 6x9 Oil - Available

Tide's Out - 9x12 Oil - Available



My "En Plein Air Pro" pastel setup.  Camera lens makes
angle look a little wonky, but everything is level!

Harebells blooming at Liberty Point
in the Roosevelt-Campobello International Park