Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Teaching Across Interstellar Distances


As an introvert, I don't mind the time at home.  (Extroverts, I imagine, are having a much harder time not reaching for the car keys.)  I'm working on a painting project, tweaking some of my web sites, organizing what I call my "art-chives," revisiting some favorite hiking spots, pulling out some of my old writing projects, doing my long-neglected estate planning--and at the same time, trying to avoid checking the body count every 30 minutes.

One thing I'm really missing, though, is teaching my workshops.  As I mentioned before, I've been forced to cancel my spring ones.  (However, I'm still taking signups for my July and August workshops in Maine; hopefully, this optimism will be rewarded.)  To satisfy this need, I thought I'd try something online.

I'm maintaining light-years between me and the rest of the world.  Is it possible to teach across interstellar distances?

Well, I am going to try.  My first thought was Facebook Live, but that might not give me the degree of interaction I'd like with the students.  I'd like to get and reply to questions.  Do you have a favorite online teaching tool you might recommend that is free or doesn't cost much?

Also, I have a survey concerning this I'd like you to take.  It'll take only two minutes.  I want to know what day of the week works best for you, as well as whether morning, noon or evening--keeping in mind that time zones (and maybe the speed of light) will affect what time the session would occur for you--how long the session should be, and subject.   You can take the survey here.

Thank you!  Stay well--and stay at home!

[UPDATE:  See survey responses here.]