Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Tuesday, March 16, 2021

A Plein Air Painting Workshop via – Zoom?

The 12x16 oil demo I did for the group.

This past weekend, I taught a plein air painting workshop for the Tempe Artists Guild in Arizona—but from my studio in New Mexico with a snowstorm blowing in.  Zoom made it all possible, and the workshop went very well.  It's an experience I'm eager to repeat.

In advance of the class, I recorded a painting demonstration outdoors plus a second segment in the studio where I improved on the painting.  On the morning of the workshop, I gave a PowerPoint presentation that showed the gear I take outdoors and how I set it up.  I followed this with a discussion of plein air painting fundamentals.  Finally, I showed my two videos and narrated, stopping the playback now and then to elaborate or answer a question.  When we broke for the afternoon painting session, I gave everyone advice on how to get started and then set them free.   (Tempe, which is near Phoenix, was having much milder weather.)  As students finished, they e-mailed images of their work, which I pulled through my "Photoshop mill" to show how they might be improved.  At the end, I emailed the revised images to the students for their reference.

It was a great experience for me and for the students.  A year ago, I wouldn't have dreamed such a thing would be possible.  My preference, of course, is to teach in-person, but as long as the pandemic is with us, I will help students this way. 

If your group would like me to set up a Zoom workshop like this, let me know!

And speaking of online education, you can still get a great discount on Plein Air Live! I'll be demonstrating in gouache on Beginner's Day.  You can find out more here.