Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Sunday, August 8, 2021

How I Carry a Small Pastel En Plein Air

9x12 PanelPak with the 8x8 Multimedia Artboard
pastel panel taped to the inside; Blue Earth Pastels'
Nomad pastel set

The artist's tape is looped behind the panel

Oil painters have all sorts of ways to carry wet paintings from the field back to the studio.  Pastel painters, not so many.  My usual method is to make a “sandwich” of two sheets of foam board.  Each sheet has a piece of pastel paper taped to it followed by a sheet of glassine.  These two boards then get sandwiched face-to-face and clipped together.  It's a neat solution, but I get a little tired of wrestling the glassine, especially if there's any wind.

So here's another solution.  I'm fond of PanelPaks for bringing my wet oil paintings back from the field.  But I can use them for pastel, too.  For one recent outing, I wanted to create an 8x8 pastel painting on one of Multimedia Artboard's pastel boards with Blue Earth Pastel's “Nomad” plein air set.  

But rather than my usual foam board-and-glassine method, I simply put two unused oil painting panels in the PanelPak and then taped the 8x8 pastel board on the inside of one with artist's tape.  This secured the pastel board to the inside of the closed-up PanelPak, making for a handy package to stuff in my backpack.

Here are the relevant web sites:

www.panelpak.com
www.multimediaartboard.com
www.blueearthpastels.com

Here's the finished sketch:

Cliff Study, 8x8, pastel