Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Sunday, April 10, 2022

Why Take a Workshop?

View in browser



It's just about that time of year again, when the landscape blooms with plein air painters.  I taught my first plein air painting workshop this weekend, an introductory class for the local art council.  As is typical for springtime in New Mexico, we had wind and pollen!  But the students, holding true to the oath they took as novititates, held firm.  They turned out excellent work, which was satisfying not just for them but also for me as the teacher.

Why take a workshop? Let me count the ways.  A workshop is an opportunity to:
  • Learn a new skill or brush up on old skills
  • Pick up a new technique and discard the old
  • Get some practice if you don't paint regularly or generate new inventory if you do
  • See what everyone else has for gear, in case you're in the market for something new and better
  • Get valuable feedback not just from a master painter but also from your peers
  • Perhaps see a new landscape 
  • Or see an old landscape with new eyes, and
  • Enjoy the camaraderie of like-minded folks

I'm sure you can add to this list.

With my teaching season having begun, I'd like to share with you what I have currently on tap for this year.  Yes, it's a shorter list than previous years, but I'm cutting back a little to enjoy my life in other ways.  This also leaves space to add a workshop for you or your group.  If you'd like me to teach, either via Zoom or in-person, let's talk!

All-Level  Workshops

North Carolina

For the Appalachian Pastel Society, in conjunction with the annual statewide pastel exhibition.  (I will be judging the exhibition.)  Get details here: http://www.appalachianpastelsociety.org/?page_id=8683

May 9-11, 2022:  Studio Workshop (Zoom, pastel only)
May 30-June 1, 2022:  Plein Air Workshop (In-person, pastel only)

Maine, Lubec

August 1-4, 2022:  Plein Air Workshop (all media, all levels.)  Limited to 4 students. Visit www.PleinAirPaintingMaine.com


Painting Retreats for Experienced Painters

Retreats are $300, which does not include travel, lodging or meals.  Visit www.MChesleyJohnson.com for details or contact me directly.

Maine, Lubec /  August 7-12, 2022 / Waitlist

New Mexico, Taos / October 2-7, 2022 / Waitlist

Arizona, Sedona / November 7-10, 2022 / OPEN