Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Sunday, August 21, 2022

Summer's Over – And About Next Summer: Part 2, The Retreat

View in browser

Shaun Painting at Low Tide


In my last post, I promised I'd write about the retreat.  Here's a little about it, plus some photos and paintings.

The retreat for experienced painters followed after the all-level workshop. Although my retreats don't include formal lectures, I offer plenty of opportunities to learn from each other, plus I give demonstrations and critiques.  (Click here to learn the difference between my workshops and retreats.) For this one, my twelve participants came from as far away as Colorado, Virginia and Quebec.  The weather this week was similar to the previous week, but with an addition of a half-day of rain.  During the rain day, I gave an oil demonstration on painting rocks and discussed some specifics on plein air gear and methods.  The week ended on a sunny note, and several participants said they couldn't wait for next year's retreat.  Me, too.

As much as it's sad to see my summer coming to an end, I'm looking forward to next year.  With that in mind, I've scheduled the following for Lubec, Maine:
  • All-level plein air painting workshop:  July 31-August 3, 2023
  • Painting retreat for experienced painters: August 7-11, 2023
Both weeks filled up very quickly when I announced them last year.  If you'd like to join me next year, I urge you to sign up soon.  Lodging can also be difficult to arrange if you wait too long because these weeks are “high season.”  And after this summer of record temperatures across the northern hemisphere, I imagine people will start booking for next year as soon as they can.  

I've also got two more retreats scheduled for this year, 2022.  I have space in both:
  • October 2-7 / Taos, New Mexico
  • November 7-10 / Sedona, Arizona
  • I'm also considering one based in Pagosa Springs, Colorado, for September or October 2023.  If I get enough interest, I'll pursue it.  If you're interested, let me know!
You can find all the details at my website.  Now, here are some photos and paintings!

9x12 pastel

9x12 oil

12x9 oil - this was a studio demo on our one rainy day

9x12 oil

5x8 gouache

5x8 gouache - low tide under some old fish buildings

5x8 gouache - more low tide


5x8 gouache

5x8 gouache

Rainy day demo

We had fog most mornings

Ann and Janet

Suzanne

One of my paintings on location

Charles

Mary

Late August means goldenrod

Erin and Liz

Suzanne, Shaun and Mary

Charles

Janet

Ann

Suzanne and Janet

Linda

My new friend, Ralph, who visited with us
while painting the old smokehouse complex.
Ralph worked in the canneries for 40 years until
they closed in 1991.  He insisted on having
his picture taken with me.