Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Thursday, June 15, 2023

Teaching at Art Fest, October 2023, Mesa, Arizona

View in browser

**Authentically Human! Not Written by AI**


I'm pleased to announce that I'll be teaching not one but TWO workshops at the Artists Network-sponsored conference, Art Fest, this October in Mesa, Arizona.  I've been working on an "Outdoor Study to Studio" workshop for several years now – I even wrote a book on it – and I'm excited to be able to present this material to you.  If you'd like to take your plein air paintings into the studio where I can show you how to bring your work up to the next level, I hope you'll join me.

The first workshop, October 26, runs a full day and will be in the studio.  For this workshop, I will have you gather reference material in the field in advance.  To help you prepare for the class, I will share with you video and written instructions on how best to gather this material.  Then, when we meet in the studio, I will take you through my studio process and work with you on taking your material and turning it into a finished painting.  Using your field references, you'll explore design ideas, color palettes and give your finished work the attention and consideration that just isn't possible while in the field.

The second workshop – and you can take one or both – runs for two full days, October 27-28.  For this workshop, we'll spend the first day on-location at a beautiful place not too far from our home base, which is the Mesa Convention Center.  I'll show you how I gather reference material in the way of pencil studies, color studies and photography, and then I'll help you gather yours.  For the second day, we'll be in the studio, taking this material and creating a finished work from it, just as my first workshop did.

Oil, pastel and acrylic are welcome for these workshops.  You'll need to have some painting experience – how to handle a brush, how to mix color – in order to get the most out of them.  To get more information on the workshops or to sign up, go to https://www.makerfestivals.com/mesa/4107992

I hope to see you in Mesa!