Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Bog Meditations, Part 4

View in browser

**Authentically Human! Not Written by AI**

"Sunny Bog: Bog Meditation 2"
12x24 oil/panel
Available

After completing my foggy bog painting, I needed to make one more of the bog, but this time with strong sunshine.  The bog looks completely different under a bright sun.  Also, the tree needed more attention.  It possesses a beautiful, graceful quality that stamps it as a unique individual.  How could one not feel obligated to show that characteristic?

For the tree's trunk and branches, I referred to a pencil drawing from the field.  After transferring this drawing to my panel with pastel pencil--toned first with transparent color to mark warm and cool areas--I then traced over the pastel lines with a small brush and paint.  My goal was to maintain a fairly accurate representation of the rhythm of the branches.

For the rest of the painting, I worked with mostly out-of-the-tube colors.  (Gamblin's Nickel Titanate Yellow, a bright, cheery color, was perfect for the grasses in the middle ground.)  For distant colors, I greyed them down with a little Portland Grey Light; for the darkest darks, Dioxazine Purple mixed with Viridian.

Here are some detail photos: