Monday, March 15, 2010

Warmer Weather - Spring Thaw

After last week's rain and snow, this week we are now blessed with warmer weather. Daffodils and crocuses have already sprung up in many yards here in Sedona, and the willows are bright green. This time of year, I am always drawn to water. The warm weather melts the snow up the canyon in Flagstaff, and the water charges over the rocks in Oak Creek.

This one I painted in a spot that is new to me. I had to cross a dry creek bed, full of cobblestsones, to reach a vantage point right at the edge. I didn't have much room to set up in, just enough for my feet and easel. The roar of the water was deafening.

"Spring Thaw" 12x9, oil
available through Windrush Gallery
800-323-0115 - info@windrushgallery.net

8 comments:

Marsha Hamby Savage said...

Michael, this is beautiful. I can't wait to be in Sedona next October / November. I thoroughly enjoy all your newsletter postings and the information you discuss. It is a great thought provoking help!

JeMA said...

What a beautiful painting. It feels like the Spring Thaw is moving towards me, love the movement. It also gave me hope up here in Minnesota!!

Marie Theron said...

The foamy water and the transparency of the clear water bits are extremely well rendered!

Cheryl Sirois said...

Michael, I really love everything about this one. If only the stream running through my Walpole, MA basement was as picturesque. THanks for the blogs. I am living vicariously through you.

Michael Chesley Johnson said...

Thanks, everyone! Cheryl - we've got a friend here from Massachusetts this week, and he just got a call from his neighbor, who is watching his house for the winter, that his basement is flooded. Dead sump pump. Things sound very wet up there.

billspaintingmn said...

This is a beauty!
I'm not sure if it's the color, or the brush strokes, but I see Sargent in this.
The foreground water is most impressive. I could dive in!

Ruth Meaders said...

I am pretty picky about who I take instruction from-So- Michael, take that as a compliment, because as soon as I can, I want to take a class from you.

Michael Chesley Johnson said...

Thanks, Bill and Ruth!