Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Monday, August 27, 2018

Attitude

It's hard not to have a good attitude in a place like this:  Zion National Park, Utah


I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard students lament:

  • “I didn’t bring the right materials.”
  • “I don’t like this new brush.”
  • “I can’t find anything to paint.”
  • “It’s just not happening for me.”


On the other hand, I’ve heard statements like these many times, too:

  • “I didn’t bring the right materials, but I think I can make what I did bring work.”
  • “I don’t like this new brush, but maybe I’ll learn how to use it.” 
  • “I can’t find anything to paint, but I’ll just pick something, and maybe it’ll engage me.”
  • “I’m loving it!”


What’s the difference?  Attitude.  I find that students who put a positive spin on a negative situation tend to have a positive experience.

We all have bad days.  But the wrong materials can become the right ones with a positive attitude.  You can paint with a stick if you have to.  You may not get the outcome you and the teacher were hoping for, but you can still have a meaningful experience and learn something--and maybe even create something beautiful.

In my next post, I’ll give you some tips for changing your attitude.