It's hard not to have a good attitude in a place like this: Zion National Park, Utah
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard students lament:
“I didn’t bring the right materials.”
“I don’t like this new brush.”
“I can’t find anything to paint.”
“It’s just not happening for me.”
On the other hand, I’ve heard statements like these many times, too:
“I didn’t bring the right materials, but I think I can make what I did bring work.”
“I don’t like this new brush, but maybe I’ll learn how to use it.”
“I can’t find anything to paint, but I’ll just pick something, and maybe it’ll engage me.”
“I’m loving it!”
What’s the difference? Attitude. I find that students who put a positive spin on a negative situation tend to have a positive experience.
We all have bad days. But the wrong materials can become the right ones with a positive attitude. You can paint with a stick if you have to. You may not get the outcome you and the teacher were hoping for, but you can still have a meaningful experience and learn something--and maybe even create something beautiful.
In my next post, I’ll give you some tips for changing your attitude.