Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sedona Plein Air Festival - Day 3

In anticipation of the wind that we're supposed to get on Tuesday and the possible snow on Wednesday, I think everyone pushed themselves today to get a lot done. I did three paintings. First, just after dawn I headed up to the end of Jordan Road and did a small painting of Ship Rock. After a short break at Pink Java (coffee and danish with panoramic views of red rocks to infinity), I went to the Arts Center to give a demonstration. Both of these paintings were 9x12. Finally, after a lunch event in which we met with the M. Graham reps, who gave each artist a goodie box of free paint, I headed down to Red Rock Crossing. It was getting hot, and I thought it'd be cool down by the water. Well, it wasn't. So, I literally turned my back on the water and discovered this beautiful sycamore tree in the shade. I turned it into a 12x16.


I then headed home to freshen up for the Artists' Reception and the opening of the Showcase Gallery. Each artist brought a few paintings, either plein air or studio, to hang in this gallery, which will be up all week so the public can see samples of our work. I finally got to meet William Wray, an artist from California whose "urban blight" paintings I really admire. (www.williamwray.com).

So far this week, as each painting comes off the easel, I've been putting it right into the box, out of sight, out of mind. I have yet to critique them to see what adjustments need to be made. This is an essential part, in my mind, of the plein air process - reflection. But I have to invoke the right state of mind for this, a state of mind that can be created only by quiet and a cup of coffee. I'll do this on one of the bad weather days. If a painting needs a few tweaks, I have no compunctions against doing that in the studio.

By the way, tomorrow (Tuesday) at 2 pm is my painting demonstration at my Sedona gallery, the Windrush Gallery. It is in the Garland Building at the end of the bridge on 179, just past the Tlaquepaque plaza. Hope to see you there!