Last week I ran an informal poll among my blog readers and WetCanvas forum participants. The question was, What size do you most typically paint in outdoors? I was curious, because I'm in the process of writing an article for The Artist's Magazine on large format outdoor painting.
I limited the poll to certain sizes. I suggested to participants that they find a size that is close if they didn't see theirs listed. Over 130 painters responded, and if you're one of them, thank you!
Here are the percentages:
Remember that these are what respondents typically paint in.
Here are some observations:
Nearly three-quarters of the respondents typically paint either 8x10 or 9x12
All but 4% typically paint 12x16 or smaller
I suppose a follow-up poll might ask, What do you consider to be a large format? But, if one were to postulate that a large format is anything that most people don't paint in, anything over 12x16 would be large.