Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Friday, January 25, 2013

New Video: Fixing Light & Shadow with Greys


I've uploaded a new, 25-minute oil painting demonstration to my online video course page, Plein Air Essentials.  "Fixing Light & Shadow with Greys" is part of the Plein Air Essentials:  Oil Supplement course.  Those of you who have already subscribed to this course will get it for free; if you're not a subscriber to it, I encourage you to check it out.  The full course is only $15 and you can view all the videos and course material forever!  (Click here to learn more about the course.)

For this video, I help the beginning plein air painter with a big problem:  capturing the pattern of light and shadow before it changes. Usually, the problem is that the painter loses time by trying not only to discern value but also color simultaneously.  In this video, I show you how to make this process much more manageable and fun by breaking it into two parts.  By starting off with greys - a monochromatic painting - you add color later.

Here is a short preview of the new video:


This art instruction video and many others are available at my Plein Air Essentials page at http://www.udemy.com/u/michaelchesleyjohnson/.  (I have two other courses:  Plein Air Essentials - Basics and Plein Air Essentials - Pastel Supplement.)

This specific video is available in my Plein Air Essentials: Oil Supplement course at http://www.udemy.com/plein-air-essentials-oil-supplement/.