Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Monday, September 1, 2014

September 2014 Newsletter



New Videos Available for Pre-Order!  Read on!

September 2014 Newsletter from Michael Chesley Johnson

Labor Day, September 1, 2014
Friar's Bay, Campobello Island, NB

I can't believe another summer has flown by. It seems just the other day we were watching the apple trees bloom, and now the apples are falling. Crickets are singing, and the goldenrod is already fading. We had our lowest temperature yet over the weekend - 49 degrees. Frost will be on the pumpkin sooner than you think.

Regular hours for our two galleries (Artist's Retreat Studios & Gallery and Friar's Bay Studio Gallery) ended on Saturday. Thank you to everyone who stopped by! Now we are open - for a few weeks - by appointment or by chance. And in a matter of days, I will be off on my annual trip to Grand Canyon, for the Grand Canyon "Celebration of Art" plein air festival.

I am happy to announce my three new DVDs for Artists Network TV are now available for pre-order through NorthLightShop.com. As you may recall, I spent a week in Cincinnati filming these back in the spring, and I am very excited to see the final product! Here are links to the three videos (my book, Backpacker Painting: Outdoors with Oil & Pastel, is also available through these links as a download.):

The Secret to Oil Painting Wet-into-Wet with Michael Chesley Johnson
The Secret to Oil Painting with Light & Color with Michael Chesley Johnson
The Secret to Pastel Painting En Plein Air with Michael Chesley Johnson
Backpacker Painting: Outdoors with Oil & Pastel

Plus, you can get all four plus a bonus e-magazine of my articles for The Artist's Magazine in one bundle. Click here for the Michael Chesley Johnson's Secrets to Oil & Pastel Success Collection.

Now, on to some important events.

This will be my third time as an Invited Artist for this important painting event. Thirty artists from around the US and Canada will converge on the South Rim for a week of intense painting September 13-21. I can't tell you how much I look forward to this. It's a great sales event for me, but what's more important is that I can reconnect with other professional painters. This year, I'll be doing something new. On Tuesday, September 16th at 4 p.m., I will be giving a public demonstration on the lawn of the El Tovar resort. The painting will be auctioned off at the end of the demonstration. As always, 50% of sales goes to funding a new art museum in the Park. Having seen the Park's wonderful collection and the cramped warehouse that currently houses it, I am very happy to support this worthwhile effort. For more details, please visit www.GrandCanyon.org.

After the Grand Canyon event, I'll be flying back east to pack up the summer studio. Trina, Saba and I will head out on our twice-a-year journey across the US. This time, I have two plein air workshops along the way. First, I'll be in Southwest Harbor, Maine (September 29-October 2), for the Acadia Workshop Center, followed by another in Westmoreland, New Hamsphire (October 4-5) for the Monadnock Area Artists Association. Both workshops still have room, so if you're interested, contact either the AWC for Southwest Harbor or MAAA for New Hampshire.

Once these two workshops are complete, we will arrive in Sedona, Arizona, just in time for the Sedona Plein Air Festival. This marks my seventh time as an invited artist. Again, thirty artists will converge in "Red Rock Country" for this fall spectacular October 18-25. Sedona has become "home turf" for me, and it'll be great to be back to do some focussed painting and to reconnect with other artists. For more details, visit www.SedonaPleinAirFestival.org.

Following this event, I'll launch into teaching my Paint Sedona plein air workshops. These will run throughout the winter and into April 2015. This year, I've added more "all level" weeks. Also, if you and three others can sign up for a week, I can make that a customized workshop. If you want all-pastel, we can do it! But you will need to arrange it soon. For details, visit www.PaintSedona.com.

By the way, in addition to my plein air workshops, I've scheduled a three-Saturday pastel-only studio-only class for November 15 and 22, and December 13. Cost is $200 for the three afternoons (1-5 pm). If you're interested in this, please let me know.

I should mention that, if you are in the Sedona area and want to see my paintings, you have a couple of great options. You can see several pieces at the Phoenix Airport Museum (Terminal 2) until November 30 as part of its Verde River Exhibition. But you can see much more at my studio gallery, Pumphouse Studio Gallery, about 10 miles south of Sedona near Page Springs. You will need to set up an appointment to visit, but I am happy to do this at any time I'm available. Just give me a call or send me an e-mail.

And don't forget that all of my books are now available at Amazon! You can visit my Amazon author site here to buy the books: http://www.amazon.com/author/johnson.

That's all the news. I'll write again once we're in Arizona. Have a great fall!

Michael
www.MichaelChesleyJohnson.com

=================================================================
Prepare for Plein Air: Not sure how to go about painting outside?
Check out my online course! Great for beginners. Visit www.PrepareForPleinAir.com

2014 Workshops
September 29-October 2: MAINE, Acadia National Park. A very popular workshop, and Michael's 8th summer! Price: $595. Sign up: http://www.acadiaworkshopcenter.com/MCJohnson.html
October 4-5: NEW HAMPSHIRE, Monadnock Region. Price: $160 members, $185 non-members. Monadnock Area Artists Association. Download registration form here. http://www.michaelchesleyjohnson.com/docs/Johnson20142.pdf
October-December: ARIZONA, Sedona. Paint Sedona resumes! www.PaintSedona.com

2015 Workshops
January-April: ARIZONA, Sedona. Paint Sedona continues! www.PaintSedona.com
May: NEW MEXICO, Santa Fe. Painting Retreat. www.PleinAirSantaFe.com. FULL - WAITING LIST.
May 6-8: WASHINGTON, Gig Harbor. Pastel-only workshop for Northwest Pastel Society in conjunction with judging the National Exhibition. Details to come!
October 6-9: MAINE, Acadia National Park. Price: TBA. www.AcadiaWorkshopCenter.com