Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Monday, October 8, 2018

October News from Michael

To the East
9x12 Oil 
Grand Canyon Celebration of Art


October 2018
Ramah, New Mexico



Good news! Trina and I finally arrived at our winter home in New Mexico. We had an easy trip, what with teaching two workshops in Ohio plus judging the annual Plein Air Competition for the Ohio Plein Air Painters Society and driving over 2600 miles. Now that we're home, I have a chance to catch you up on a few things.

Grand Canyon Celebration of Art

Just before leaving Campobello Island, I flew out to Arizona for the 10th annual Grand Canyon Celebration of Art as one of 25 invited artists. The COA event is my favorite – this was my 5th time attending – and most successful. This year, I focused more on painting for myself rather than for collectors and explored color and contrast. I must have done something right, since sales have been good for me so far. The exhibit, which is at the Kolb Studio in Grand Canyon National Park on the South Rim, continues through the end of January. If you visit (and I hope you do!) please know that not everything is hung; there are a good many backup paintings that are in another space, but the staff there will be more than happy to share these with you if you ask. You can see all my paintings at

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8cNH9rYpmynDbAdo9

These will also be available for sale on the Grand Canyon Association's web site soon. Once they are there, I will make a general announcement on my blog, Instagram and Facebook pages.

Paint the Southwest Workshops

Now that I'm back in New Mexico, I'm eager to get started on my "Painting Intensive" workshops, in which I work one-on-one with each participant in a program tailored to the student. This is a rare opportunity for experienced painters to work side-by-side with a pro. We'll be working in the beautiful light of New Mexico's high desert. Lodging and meals are included in the price (a tuition-only version is also available.) For full details on the program, go to http://www.paintthesouthwest.com/sched_int.html

I've also scheduled two all-level plein air painting workshops this year in Sedona, Arizona—my old stomping grounds. Workshops are based in West Sedona and lodging is available at the studio at a price you won't find anywhere else in town. We'll be painting Sedona's famous Red Rock country. Remember, this is for anybody who knows the basics of painting—you don't have to be a plein air painter, since I'll show you how to become one. Of course, the workshop is great for experienced outdoor painters, too! For details, visit http://www.paintthesouthwest.com/sched_reg.html. Workshops are November 13-16, 2018, and April 2-5, 2019.
By the way, I've just had a spot open up in my October 24-27 2018 Grand Canyon workshop due to a medical cancellation. If you're interested, please let me know right away. Details at https://www.grandcanyon.org/classes-tours/classes/photography-art-yoga-classes/

Special Painting Retreat in Lubec, Maine, Next Summer

Because this past August's Special Painting Retreat in Lubec filled so quickly, I want to give you plenty of warning on the next one. We've scheduled it for August 11-16, 2019. This will be based at the historic and beautifully-restored US Coast Guard Station campus out by the West Quoddy Lighthouse. For full details, click here http://www.mchesleyjohnson.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/retreat_wqs_public_pix.pdf?x46263

I have many other workshops scheduled for 2019, and for some, details are being worked out. Locations include Tubac, AZ (for Tubac Center of the Arts); Mount Vernon, WA (for Dakota Art Workshops); Nashville, TN (for the Chestnut Group); and since my October 2018 Grand Canyon workshop filled so quickly, another workshop there in October 2019. Please see the end of this newsletter for details.

Other News

Pastel Journal Articles. I've been asked to write a series of articles on color for the pastel painter. For those of you who followed my recent series on color for the oil painter for The Artist's Magazine, this will be similar—but different! I'm looking forward to exploring this topic for Pastel Journal. Look for them in 2019.

That's all for now. Happy trails!

Michael