As I write, we are digging out of a snowstorm. Looking at where the snow hits my boots, I'd say we've had a good foot of snow—more than we've seen in some time. We're grateful for the precipitation, as anyone should be who lives in the Southwest, but it does make it hard to get out and about. Fortunately, we live just off a paved road, which is unusual in rural New Mexico, and I'm sure the town will get out at some point today and plow up to where tar meets gravel. Once the sun rises, I'll grab my snowshovel and proceed to re-shovel the driveway and clean up the paths so we can feed the birds. Meanwhile, we'll keep our fingers crossed that the power doesn't go out. It bounced three times in the night.
With that in mind, I thought I'd share a few snow sketches from over the years. (All of these are plein air; most are oil, since I find it easier to manage oil in the cold; and most are 9x12 or so. Some are sold, some are not, but if you see a piece that interests you, let me know and I'll try to track it down.) I do love to paint snow, and once this storm settles down, I'll head out to paint some of it. I may have to build snowshoes for my easel, though.
As for New Year's resolutions, I have none to share. I'm pretty good at staying motivated throughout the year, and to be honest, there is very little I would want to change. Trina and I both lead a good life, are blessed with wonderful family and friends, and so are looking forward to a year of peace and prosperity. We wish you all the same.