Plein Air Painting Essential Tools: A Painting Knife for Pastel
on
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Use a painting knife to scrape off excess pastel
Wait—aren't you confusing the medium? No, I'm not. Most people think a knife is used only for oil or acrylic painting, but I also use one when I'm working in pastel. For me, it's just another tool, like an eraser or blender.
In fact, I use it for both purposes. I use it to:
Scrape off pastel that is too thick (with the edge or tip)
Blend pastel (with the flat side)
Push pastel into the surface so it sticks better (with the flat side)
Add textural marks (with the edge or tip)
Painting knives come in many forms—long, short, fat, wide, tapered, straight. I prefer a small, trowel-shaped one. You might find a different shape suited to your style.
Use a painting knife to push pastel into the surface