Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Sunday, June 12, 2022

June Newsletter!

View in browser

"Lifting Fog at Dawn" 11x14 Oil - Available


[I try to post my semi-monthly newsletter here, but once in awhile, I forget.  This time I didn't.  So, here's my June newsletter.  If you'd like to sign up for my newsletter, you can do so here.]

June 2022
Campobello Island, New Brunswick
Canada

It has been a whirlwind couple of weeks with travels.  First, the Plein Air Convention in Santa Fe, followed by a pastel workshop in North Carolina; and finally, Campobello Island.  Along the way, sadly, we had planned to attend two memorial services for lost parents, one in Georgia for my father and one in Vermont for Trina's.  But even more sadly, as I approached Georgia for my father's, I was notified that my mother had just tested positive for COVID.  Because of a mandated ten-day quarantine period, we had to cancel the service, and I was unable to visit her.  COVID can touch us in many unexpected ways.

The Plein Air Convention was huge.  I didn't get an actual count, but I was able to calculate the number of chairs in the main stage area, and most of those 800 seats were filled at times.  As a faculty member, I gave a pastel demonstration one evening that turned out very well.  I also enjoyed the afternoon paintouts, which were held at several scenic locations, including the historic Santa Fe Plaza.  I think my favorite part, though, was watching the demonstrations of some of the best painters in the world.  (You can read a full write-up of the event on my blog.)  I'm honored to have been invited back for next year's convention in Denver, which will be the tenth anniversary.  They're expecting upwards of a thousand attendees.

After a quick trip home to pack for the cross-country trip to Campobello Island, I traveled to North Carolina.  The workshop was small, but that didn't disappoint me, as I prefer small groups.  It was held in conjunction with the statewide pastel exhibition, which is sponsored annually by the three pastel societies in that state.  Asheville and Black Mountain provided cool upland territory to paint in, and we enjoyed painting mountain streams and lakes.

When we finally arrived on Campobello Island, we found it much as we left it:  sunny and green and surrounded by a beautiful bay.  Better yet, even though we weren't able to be in residence the last two summers because of closed borders, we discovered the house and studio to be in fine shape.  I'm looking forward to unpacking the studio and painting at some of my favorite haunts.

Now, let me tell you about my upcoming events:

July 15:  Judging for an online exhibition for the Arizona Pastel Artists Association.

July 21-August 9:  One-person show at Mulholland Market, Lubec, Maine.  As I'll be trying to clear out my studio this summer (see the next item), I plan to put very low prices on  the paintings.  

All Summer:  Almost Everything Must Go Sale.  I'm closing down my Campobello studio, which means selling painting gear and art supplies.  As I don't want to deal with the hassle of shipping, you will need to come to Campobello for this “cash-and-carry” sale.  If you're interested, let me know, and I'll send you a list plus pricing and the dates I'll be available.

August 1-4:  All-level plein air painting workshop in Lubec.  This is full, but I will put you on the wait list if you are interested—I do sometimes have cancellations

August 7-12:  Plein air painting retreat for experienced painters in Lubec.  Again, full, but I will put you on the wait list.

August 17-20:  Pastel Live!  I'll be teaching at this online conference.  This is hosted by PleinAir Magazine, and it's part of the enterprise that includes the Plein Air Convention, Plein Air Live and Realism Live.  My session will be on Beginner's Day, which is August 17.

Also in August, I'll be judging the annual juried members' show for the Vermont Pastel Society.  I'm honored that VPS considered me for this, as I've taught for them and was also a member when I lived in Vermont.

Maybe it's too early to talk about the fall, but I will be at these two events:

  • Escalante (UT) Art Festival, September 16-21
  • Prescott (AZ) Plein Air, October 13-16

and don't forget my two fall plein air painting retreats for experienced painters: 

  • October 2-7: Taos, New Mexico
  • November 7-10: Sedona, Arizona
I still have space in both of these.  For full details, please visit the workshops and retreats page on my website at www.MChesleyJohnson.com.  And don't forget Instagram, where I post frequently, chiefly new paintings and painting-related travel photos.  Also, my blog, where I have more room to expand on painting en plein air.

That's all for now.  Stay well!