- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
View in browser
![]() |
| Madeover: "Clouds and Peaks" 12x16 Oil / Available Read About My Process Below |
We've all been here:
With bold confidence, I apply the last stroke of paint. I step back, feeling pretty good about this one. Yes, indeed, I've made a fine painting. I pack up my gear, satisfied, and head home. I sleep well that night.But after some time, I go to the studio. As I pull the painting out of its box, my pride takes a hit. Something about the design isn't quite right. And the color seems a bit off. Hesitant, I heft the painting in my hands. Should I heave it into the recycle crate or try to save it?
Usually, when I bring a painting back from the field, it only takes a moment of consideration and a stroke or two to bring it to completion. (I give myself no more than 30 minutes to work on a painting this way.) But now and then, a painting calls for more than that. Because I think there's still hope for it, rather than scraping it down, I put it in a pile with other misfits.
This winter, we've had unusual weather for the Southwest—weeks of cloud and lingering snow. Since I didn't feel like going out to paint, I took the opportunity to go through some of my old plein air pieces to see if any of them could be redeemed. I pulled out a stack that had promise and decided to make my best effort.
And that's what this new blog series is about: Extreme Makeovers for Plein Air Paintings. I want to walk you through my process for each of them. Here's the first one.
![]() |
| 7. Finished. I add a few dark notes into the foreground to bring it closer to the viewer, enhancing the sense of depth in the painting. |
This "extreme makeover" went pretty quickly, as I knew right off the start what the biggest problem was. Once I corrected that, everything else seemed to follow logically, step-by-step. Not every painting needing a makeover goes this smoothly, as we'll see in upcoming posts.







